What is Social Prescribing?
Many things can affect your health and wellbeing over time, 1 in 5 GP appointments focus on the wider social aspect of your life rather than acute medical issues such as managing different long term health conditions.
That is where social prescribing fits in and it all starts with a conversation with one of our Social Prescribers
- Someone you can to talk to confidentially
- Someone who is practical and helpful and who will not judge you
- Someone who can help you decide what you’d like to do to feel healthier or better in yourself
- Someone who can find you activities that will suit you and, if you want, who can go along with you to them to start with so that you don’t have to go on your own
- Someone who can advise you on how to arrange appointments with medical services at times that suit you
- Someone who can give you support along the way.
Our Social Prescriber can link you with many services in our community that may help you, these may include:
Healthy lifestyles & active living
- Arts, music, outdoor and/or creative classes
- Befriending, counselling and other support groups
- Housing, benefits & financial support & advice
- Employment, training & volunteering
- Education & learning
- Getting involved in local groups & activities
- Accessing specialist services & support that can help.
I am interested in all things connection both with myself and others. Being more human and connecting through archery, walking, dog walking or climbing and I also enjoy watching good films and drinking copious amounts of tea.
For the last 5 years I've helped support members of the community to explore their goals and improve their wellbeing. I'm passionate about helping people to feel good about themselves. I love being in nature, gardening, walking and reading a good book.
‘Since speaking to the Social Prescriber, I have felt less isolated and knowing there has been someone there has been invaluable. I was also very grateful to being introduced to people in the Community as I am new to Derby’
‘It’s been really good to talk to someone, especially during the lockdown’
‘Speaking to the Social Prescriber has helped me get back to normal life and my confidence back’
‘I felt that Social Prescribing has done me a great deal of good, knowing that someone has been there has helped a great deal’
Walking Group – Midday Meander
‘At this moment I find them very beneficial for me, being able to feel relaxed in our little bubble and is something i look forward too. I hate spending evenings on my own especially now nights are drawing in, but it gives me something to look forward too, and its great meeting with these lovely ladies’
‘Yes its good, gets me out the house and I enjoy the company, the walks and I feel nice and relaxed afterwards’
‘Roll on the next one’
‘It’s good getting together with everyone’