Formal Complaints

Formal Complaints

We make every effort to give the best service possible to everyone who attends our practice. However, we are aware that things can go wrong resulting in a patient feeling that they have a genuine cause for a complaint. If this is so, we would wish for the matter to be settled as quickly, and as amicably, as possible. Formal complaints are taken seriously and dealt with by our quality team who follow our complaints procedure, this includes ensuring any patient submitting a formal complaint will no be discriminated against, or subjected to any negative effect on their care, treatment or support.

Want to make a complaint?

To pursue a complaint please complete the complaint form and the Quality Team will deal with your concerns appropriately.


You can submit your complaint form by:


  • Completing the online form via our website

  • Collecting a complaint form from reception and returning it by hand or post addressed to The Quality Department, Lister House Surgrey, 207 St Thomas Road, Derby, DE23 8RJ

  • Emailing your concerns to 

  • Contacting the surgery and requesting a call back from the Quality team

Complaints Process


The practice operates a Complaints Procedure as part of the NHS system for dealing with complaints. Our complaints system meets national criteria.

We aim to settle complaints as soon as possible, and to acknowledge receipt of complaints within 3 working days, or where that is not possible as soon as reasonably practicable.

We aim to have looked into the matter within 10 working days. You may then receive a formal reply in writing, or you may be invited to meet with the person(s) concerned to attempt to resolve the issue. If the matter is likely to take longer than this, we will let you know, and keep you informed as the investigation progresses. When looking into a complaint we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is something we can learn from this, and make it possible for you to discuss the issue with those involved if you would like to do so. When the investigations are complete, a final response sent to you.

Where your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g. social services), we will liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this. Where your complaint has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with. We keep to the strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality.

If you wish to make a complaint and are not the patient involved, we will require the written consent of the patient to confirm that they are unhappy with their treatment and that we can deal with someone else about it.

Please ask at reception for the Third Party Consent Form, which contains a suitable authority for the patient to sign to enable the complaint to proceed.

Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness or accident it may still be possible to deal with the complaint. Please provide the precise details of the circumstances which prevent this in your covering letter.

Please note that we are unable to discuss any issue relating to someone else without their express permission, which must be in writing, unless the circumstances above apply.

We may still need to correspond direct with the patient, or may be able to deal direct with the third party, and this depends on the wording of the authority provided.

The Practice Quality Team hope to help you to resolve your problem by following our complaints process.

Since 2009 NHS patients wishing to complain about primary care services can take their complaint to either the provider (such as the GP or dental practice) or the commissioner, NHS England – but not both.


If you are Dissatisfied with the Outcome you can call NHS England on:


0300 311 22 33

(Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm,

Excluding English Bank Holidays)

NHS England

PO Box 16738, Redditch B97 9PT    


If you are not satisfied with the way their complaint has been dealt with by the provider or commissioner, contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO)


The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Millbank Tower




Tel: 0345 015 4033



If you require assistance in making a complaint you can contact:

POhWER—NHS Patient advocacy service Derbyshire

Tel: 0300 456 2364